Monday, July 4, 2011

Stetch Your Sketches @ Ella Publishing

Hope you all had a Happy 4th of July! It's hot and humid here so we hung by the pool and kept it low key.
Have you been playing along with Donna's "Stretch Your Sketches Challenge Series" at Ella Publishing?  

Every 1st and 3rd Monday of the month through September Donna is posting a brand new sketch and layouts, plus sharing some of her  favorite tips and tricks for getting the most from your sketches.  Each week she invites one of the Ella Friends to stretch the sketch and create another layout based on that same sketch -  this week it's me!  You can join in the fun by making your own layouts based on the sketches and be eligible to win some great prizes each month.

I've been working with Donna's layout sketches since I first saw them on the Ella blog. (She's also got a fantastic eBook of sketches- that you can find right here.) The clean, simple style of her pages has definitely inspired me over the last 2 years. So, let's get to the sketch:


Not only are Donna's sketches great for sparking a layout idea - they are great for making cards...which is what I did:
I actually made 2 cards. This is the one I sent in for the blog. I did not deviate far from the sketch because I really love a grid design. I liked the ideas of using circles within the linear design so I added the flower and the circle cut from patterned paper in place of 2 of the squares. I left the other 2 squares solid and fairly monotone to reinforce the grid design. Here's a close up - still feeling the Gluber love...

materials: cardstock: Bazzill, American Crafts; patterned paper: Cosmo Cricket; flower: Punky Sprouts, Cosmo Cricket; stamps: Studio Calico ('summer'), Close To My Heart ('enjoy'); ink: Jenni Bowlin; string: Divine Twine


Ok, here's the first card I made. A little more true to the sketch but you can see the circle thing was in my head and not fully developed into what I did above.
The card is navy & orange - one of my all time favorite color combos (but the navy looks black here). Here's a close up - the circles are from Stampin' Up - I heat embossed them with orange Zing.
 
 materials: cardstock: American Crafts; patterned paper: Bo Bunny; stamps: circles: Stampin Up; 'enjoy' Close To My Heart; 'summer' Studio Calico; ink: Jenni Bowlin, Versamark; embossing powder: American Crafts; embossing folder, tag punch: Stampin Up

Donna's page with the sketch is gorgeous. You can check out her post and the sweet prize that is up for grabs over at the Ella Publishing blog.  (Included in the prize winnings is the same stamp set I used on my cards - the Addy Sentiments from Studio Calico). Thanks Donna for letting me play along!

8 comments:

~amy~ said...

I love both of takes on that awesome sketch!!!!

Donna Jannuzzi said...

I love both cards, but having seen this first one - that embossing is so beautiful! That stamp is pretty too. Thanks for doing an amazing job with my simple sketch. =)

Monika Wright said...

great way to show just how versatile sketches can be, and your cards are gorgeous...as always!

Cristina said...

Both of them are so beautiful. I feel like I would have made something more similar to the orange one, which is a good lesson that I should push my ideas further, because the one with the flowers is breathtaking. Totally inspiring.

Kara said...

so gorgeous!!

jamie long said...

These are both perfection!

papirdiva said...

Those cards are amazing! Thank you for sharing the sketch and your takes on it :)

~jan said...

Love the sketch and both cards you made for it, Val! :) That navy & orange card is beautiful-so full of subtle textures. Your blubbered flower on the first is wonderful as is how you played with the sketch a bit.