Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday At The Studio

This week at The Studio, Amanda asked us to make a page about our passion. I've got a few, but decided I'd focus (no pun intended!) on this:
and here's a close up of the stitching, which is kind of hard to see:
materials: patterned paper: October Afternoon, MME; letter stickers: Making Memories; frames: K & Co.; sticker: Webster's Pages; inks: Jenni Bowlin, Studio Calico; stamps: Studio Calico, Picture Show; washi tape; date stamp

I can't seem to stop using those white Making Memories letters from last month's Studio Calico kit. I wonder if they have such non-sticky adhesive on purpose? I thought maybe I had a bad batch but I have them in red, too, from the month before, and they don't stick either. I don't really mind, because I like the subtle texture from the curled edges when I stitch them down. If I didn't sew everything, however, I have no idea how I'd get them to stick down.
So now it's your turn - we'd love to see your pages! Stop by The Studio for some gorgeous inspiration from the design team.

Today I'll be working on some 2-page layouts. It's been a long time since I worked on any 2-pagers. It feels so strange to make something so big but that is all I ever used to make. I also need to catch up on my art journal. It was the last crafty thing I was working on before I got that nasty stomach virus last week. I hate to admit that I kind of associate the whole thing with that violent illness and I've been avoiding it as a result. I need to get over that asap!! Speaking of art journals - my pal Jan is doing hers on individual tags. You can check them out here. (They are gorgeous!) I think this is the coolest idea.

Unrelated to all the above...I don't know fellow crafter Katie Renz. I'm not even a regular reader of her blog - but I found it this weekend via this post at Craft Critique, and the story I read there brought me to tears. I can not stop thinking about it. I think of the challenges I will face today, this week, this month - and they can't even compare to the work that this girl has ahead of her.  I am officially putting things in perspective and refocusing on the stuff that really, truly matters.

24 comments:

Lee Currie said...

I have to tell you Valerie that I have both your blog and the Studio blog in my reader. I don't often pay (enough) attention to who makes the layouts that catch my eye, but I ALWAYS see them again because you post them on YOUR blog. LOVE your layouts, they are truly inspiring :) Have a wonderful Sunday!

~Sasha Farina~ said...

this just rocks my world! love love love this layout Val!

ps : yes.. the piece on my was cross stitched :)

Kelly said...

Absolutely gorgeous layout Valerie. Truly beautiful xxx

Debbie said...

LOVE this page. =)

jamie long said...

April said there were some quality control problems with those letters, but they are still so cute right? I cant wait to see your two pagers.

Karen B. said...

Ooh, love those black dot thingies. They really bring your eye to the images.

~amy~ said...

Valerie, your layout is simply spectacular...the design is so clean & crisp but yet it is sooo filled with goodness...I love your style!

::sigh::I absolutely agree with you regarding the story about Katie....I read several of her posts yesterday and was filled with so much emotion that I actually had to step away...I cannot begin to imagine what she is going through...

Ellie said...

thank you for your message! yes I had a fab time in NY, as always :)esp this time around, 'cos I managed to buy some scrap items, which I've never done...and dont ask me why, I have no idea why I've always skipped it :S

xoxoxo ellie

Laurel said...

LOVE this page! I have a 'focus' page being posted tomorrow.

Sarah Webb said...

Great page! Love the colours and splatter!

Irini said...

What a gorgeous layout Val....so simple yet striking!

Nadia Cannizzo said...

just awesome Val! It is so eye catching! well done.

mborrero said...

LOVE the letters and composition!

Jennifer said...

fabulous!! :) Love the stitching!

~jan said...

I think this layout might be my favorite of yours, my friend! Lovelovelove it. Those splotches make me happy. :) Ha-its always the little things that make me happy! The littel bit of color in the heart and title are wonderful!

So sad about Katie. :( Curveball, indeed. Certainly does put things in perspective!

Tonya said...

What a great layout, love the subtle colors with a pop of red!

Christina said...

i love those alphas too but they do the same thing to me too, but i love them anyways =)
xo

Christie said...

Great layout and those letters are perfect - creating just a subtle title.

Hope you have lots of luck scrapping 2 pagers today. :)

Sara said...

Gorgeous LO! Love that you scrapped a hobby...and I really like the stitching on the letters, it's a happy accident! ;)

Vera said...

love the LOs!

aurorafedora said...

i just love the stitching, and that little loop- just great!!! what a great page!

Meghann said...

Ooh! Love all of the white space.

Courtney K said...

what an awesome layout!! love the white on white with a bit of red and blue. and those frames are the perfect embellishment.

and thank you for the sweet comment you left over at the moxie fab blog :)

Natalie Elphinstone said...

I'm with you.... if it doesn't stick (either by design or because I've moved it a billion times already) then I stitch it down!
But my alternate solution is to use Dimensional Magic (Diamond Glaze or Glossy Accents is the same) as my adhesive. Great for the small or detailed embellies because it's got that fine pointy applicator.