Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Let's Do...."insert style"

I have to say, the current set of Card Style challenges over at Moxie Fab World have really got me thinking. I always wonder what style I work in. It was interesting to try to categorize some of my recent creations. I went through the 4 and realized I've dabbled in each style - so I decided to create this post. Each section of this post links back to the original Moxie Fab post where there are examples. Feel free to explore your style along with me...so without further adieu...here are my 4 entries..in order of style preference:

Clean & Graphic
"characterized by the utilization of white space, clean lines, and simple treatment of text. It is no-frills, bare-boned, modern, and hip"
Ok, I've got plenty of these on hand. I work easily in this style and due to major time contraints lately, I find it very appealing. This one is a Christmas card I made for a December call. I was on a simple/graphic kick that day:
My second favorite style "characterized by layering. It is soft, utilizing ribbon, lace, and techniques such as inking and distressing. The final product looks comfortable, weathered, and worn." Even though I know it's super trendy at the moment - I can't resist its florals and ribbon & buttons. And the Vintage part...well, regardless of trend I'll always be into that.
Here's my card even though this one has no buttons or ribbon, I think it's a fit because everything about this paper line is Vintage/Shabby:
Classy & Elegant
"is polished....its look is regal, stunning, and dashing. And while its lines are clean, sweeping, and dramatic, it can also incorporate monochromatic color schemes with layered textures" - hmmm, I think this one fits the bill. Could also be shabby/vintage - I also think I work in this style quite a bit though I hate to use those words to describe my work. Sounds way too formal for me.
 
  image removed for publication
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


This one always gets me...."a happy color scheme, a sweet sentiment, and an uncomplicated design." Sounds so innocent & friendly but I have a hard time being cute and funny, or even worse...punny with paper. Here's a card I did a few months back. I've posted it before so sorry for the re-hash...this is as clever as I get people:

That was fun but now it's time for me to get back to work on some projects for The Studio. My official term starts on Monday & I really hope you will join - there are some really fun challenges coming up!

9 comments:

Papertrails by a paper lover said...

Very fabulous cards you created here! Love the different styles. Good luck with Moxie Fab contest!

Briana Johnson said...

"punny" with paper : ) That's funny, I know what you mean. but that is a pretty cute card! They all are. I have no idea what my style is and I like to mix it up too depending on what mood I'm in.

Keshka said...

Great post--so interesting to see what gets other people going!

Sara said...

Love the cards! My favorites are the Christmas one & the 3 Chairs! Clever!!

Cindy Lee said...

Goodness Valerie!!! Your cards are so awesome!!!! You rock the challenges!!

Cath said...

Hey Valerie! Thanks for entering the Let's Do Fun & Cute Card Style Week challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on the fun! :)

Cath said...

Hey Valerie! Thanks also for entering the Let's Do Clean & Graphic Card Style challenge in the Moxie Fab World! :)

Cath said...

...and also for entering the Let's Do Shabby & Vintage Card Style Week challenge in the Moxie Fab World! :)

Cath said...

...and also for entering the Let's Do Classy & Elegant Card Style Week challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I think it's great that you tried all four styles! You go, girl! :)