Wednesday, May 19, 2010

This week's photo assignment & the crafty weekend ahead...

Took a million shots for my still life assignment this week, but this one is my fave:
Here is the runner up:

love all that color! We had to play with focal legnth. Think I finally did one of these assignments correctly. I always think that then find out otherwise in class. I guess I'll know soon enough!

This weekend will be seriously all about the paper and ink. Starts this Friday with the Scrapbook Expo in Somerset, then my class on Sunday at the Ink Pad in NYC.

The Expo is really just a large shopping experience for me, since I'm not a big taker of classes at these things. CKC is the exception. I can always find a fun class or two there. (This year I will attend Valley Forge after a 2 year hiatus. Paper Crafts Magazine asked me to volunteer some time in their booth in exchange for a class and I said I would. That ought to be fun.) Anywho...the Somerset expo has a good Vendor Faire. I even met Tim Holtz there one year - stood less than a foot away from him while he magically transformed a blank paper tag into a work of art. I'll be happy if this year I can just get my hands on some new American Crafts, Lily Bee and Sassafrass - 2 lines that are not easy to get locally. Sometimes I just like to see the stuff 'in person' before I buy it. Sometimes I discover things I didn't realize were so great. All good fun.

Sunday I will head into the city for a class at the newly discovered Ink Pad.  Doesn't this place look amazing? All that time I worked in the city and didn't even know it was there.
Julie Fei-Fan Balzer is teaching it. I've been admiring her work since I discovered her in the Studio Calico gallery a few months back. She's an amazing artist and can work wonders with ink and paint and seemingly whatever other medium she chooses to work in. This class is a distress ink technique class. I desperately need this class! I better finish rounding up my supplies. I always get nervous before a class, afraid I won't be able to keep up. Adding to the nerves is the fact that a lot of the supplies for this class are things I've never ever used before.

After class, and adding to my stamp collection at the Ink Pad, I'm going to head over to this place:
I have been dying to go to Tinsel Trading. I'd love to squeeze in Portrait Bug, MJ Trimming & NY Cake & Baking, but those will have to wait til' my next trip into the city. Now that the nice weather is here, and my kids don't rely on the stroller so much, I'd like to take them in. They love it in the 'big city'. Chris loves to ride the subway (maybe taking him down there on a hot summer day will get him over that!). Marilyn loves taxi cabs. There are museums they need to experience, shows to see & so many things to do there. So lucky to live so close to such an amazing place!

No comments: