Saturday, January 30, 2010

It's the week 3 sketch...

at Ella Publishing. Each week you submit an entry, you get entered to win a Cricut Expression. I'm not a winner - I rarely win stuff if a random drawing is involved. This is the reason I don't gamble or buy tons of raffle or lottery tickets. I'm just not one of those people that win stuff. So, I am just enjoying the challenge and getting 6 layouts done in the process. If there's a Cricut in my future - well, that will just be a bonus!
On to this week's sketch...have to say, I was getting used to the nice, simple 2 and 3 photo layouts - so here we go with a 'fiver'
I had a hard time visualizing this one. I think I tend to (or start out to) make my layouts more symmetrical and I'm not a big 'measure the photos' gal - so when I see a multitude of precise measurements, I start to tune out. (Funny, so many hours of my day job are focused on precise measurements. What's my problem?) Oh well, I realize once again that the sketch is merely a jumping off point and come up with this:
supplies: cardstock: Bazzill, patterned paper: Basic Grey, Sasafrass Lass; journal spots: K&Co.; letter stickers: American Crafts
I rotated the sketch and eliminated some of the journaling areas, then added a small one at the bottom. Went to the white ground again - trying to keep it simple. That background,
which has circles of Basic Grey and Sasafrass sewn down, was inspired by a set of sheets I saw in last months Country Living. They were plain white embellished with polka dots of several vintage fabrics sewn on in a random pattern.  I love them and have to make a set - but that is a project for another day! They were a DIY project from this book by Cath Kidston:
From what I can gather, Cath Kidston is the UK Martha Stewart. Cute, cute stuff they have across the pond!
On a somewhat related note, the photos I took of the layout were done with my D80 in manual mode. Anyone out there with a dslr knows that shooting in manual can be a little complicated. I'm happy to report my photo class is an awesome success. I've learned so much is 4 short weeks - most notably what the white balance is and how to make it work! Two more weeks to go then I think I'll sign up for the advanced class. Our assignment this week is to take a Richard Avedon- style portrait (no shadows). This will require me and my subject to be outside while the sun is setting in the shade. Did I mention its 17 degrees here?

2 comments:

RobinDiane said...

Great job. Like how you rotated the sketch.

Meda said...

I adore your elegant cream color valentines. I can imagine how beautiful they are IRL with the glimmer.